Sunday, March 1, 2009

Hello Everyone,
Today, Sunday, I asked the kids to wash the dinner dishes while I rested on the couch. Growing up it was always the kids job to wash the dinner dishes. Two kids were assigned to this because there were a lot more dishes than on a week night. So we each took our turn on Sundays. It seems without fail though, that this would end up being a discipline day because we would always start complaining or fighting about who had to wash. We would usually wake up Dad or Mom from their nap, and get in big trouble. Why we didn't learn sooner to just be quiet and get the job done rather than making it last two hours longer than nessesary, I am not sure.
Anyways, it was fun watching Cody and Cami today do the dishes. Cami was trying to put a lid on the soup and dumped it all over the table and floor. I could see the frustration on Cody's face, that same look we have given him for the past almost 10 years when he made a mistake. I had to laugh. It was fun seeing the two of them try to clean up a mess as best they could without letting the parents know what was going on. I think I am going to start enjoying Sunday afternoons more.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Erica, You crack me up. I can't imagine your kids not being independent. Growing up, you were like the most independent kid I knew. I was always amazed at how much you knew, just because you tried it and did it. When we were playing in the summer and your mom was at work and we wanted cookies, I think we were all of 9 and went in the kitchen got out the recipe and made the cookies and were telling me all along how to do it. So it is hard for me to imagine that your kids are not independent do it yourself people. I am sure they are better then you think.

Someday when I figure out how to have a baby and stay on top of the laundry I am going to attempt to read a book. I'll add this to the list.

Lori Conger said...

Sounds like a great idea! I like it! My children seem to quarrel every Sunday afternoon anyway, so they might as well have a good reason--Sunday dishes!:) Actually, I just had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands two weeks ago, so my children have had to do a lot of things they weren't used to. What they didn't know is that I kept thinking to myself, "They're pretty good at this. I think they sould do this more." Poor kids! They shouldn't have been so effecient.:)